Bring on the popcorn! Today, in honor of the Oscars, I am sharing a list of some of my favorite movies of all time. If you are like me and enjoy a movie with an endearing story about family or community, then these are films that you would enjoy.
1. A wonderful film about a family of Norwegian immigrants. I love that mama protects her children from the financial worries they face. I love the sacrifices she makes for her family. Mama can fix anything! Great cast. (Irene Dunne as the Mama) Unforgettable story.
2. A sweet film about a little girl and life on a farm with her Norwegian parents. I especially love her relationship with her father. This is a wonderful film with a great cast. (Edward G. Robinson in a change of pace role for him.)
3. A great film (and book) about a family in Brooklyn at the turn of the century. Their struggle to survive is made more difficult by the alcoholic father. The connection between the father and daughter is touching. The mother, by necessity, has become tough and strong as she fights for her family to survive. Excellent cast of characters.
4. Giving fathers equal time, this film of family life in Victorian times always makes me laugh. “Gads!” William Powell is great as the father. I love Irene Dunne as the mother and her dizzy reasoning.
5. Based on a great book this film is the true story about a family with twelve children. I just love the chaos of the big family and the eccentric parenting ideas of the father. The original movie is much better than the more recent version.
6. The story of a family’s life in a Welsh mining town. Roddy McDowall, Donald Crisp and Maureen O’Hara are outstanding.
7. Another film about a large, loving family. I could watch this film over and over. Henry Fonda as the hard-working, loving father and Maureen O’Hara as his wife. This movie was based on the novel that later inspired the television series, The Waltons.
There you go! Grab the popcorn and settle in for a good family film.
Do you have a favorite family film?