An affair means death to a marriage. Here are some easy ways for you to affair proof your marriage.
1. Respect your spouse and speak highly of them to others.
2. Compliment your spouse in front of your children and other adults. Children learn how to treat others by watching how their parents interact. Show them love, mercy and forgiveness.
3. Make a decision that you are committed to your spouse no matter what. Make the decision to love them every day. Find something about them to appreciate and admire. Compliment them on it.
4. Let go of offenses. Don’t keep a record of wrongs. Someone once said, “A good marriage is the union of two good forgivers.”
5. Be available to meet the physical needs of your spouse. This can be difficult in the years when small children or careers sap your strength. Make it a priority to be sure you are meeting the needs of your spouse for intimacy.
6. Arrange to have a date night without kids at least once a month. Date night does not have to be expensive. Arrange to swap child care with another couple and then take a walk, go to the beach, or buy an ice cream cone and sit at the park and talk.
7. Write love notes and leave them where your spouse can find them. Send your spouse a text or email during the day letting them know you are thinking of them and praying for their day.
8. Pray together. Make this a priority.
9. Put God first in your marriage. Ask God to help you find ways to honor and love your spouse.
10. Don’t make your children the priority in your marriage. Children are important, but your relationship with your spouse is more important.
11. Say “no” to porn. This is toxic to your relationship and to your sexual intimacy. Stand firm and do not allow this in your home or to be accessed on your computers or television.
12. Pay attention to warning signs in your marriage.
13. Don’t spend private time with people of the opposite sex. Don’t put yourself in a place of temptation.
14. No flirting with someone of the opposite sex. There is no such thing as innocent flirting.
15. Take care of yourself and your appearance. Show them you care enough about them that you want to look nice just for them.
Marriage takes a lot of work, but it is worth it. Commit yourself to building a strong and lasting marriage. Your children will thank you for it.